Sunday 1 March 2009

And Here I Stand – Reeko

From the mighty wikipedia;

"Hanging people from early gallows sometimes involved fitting the noose (a.k.a the tater) around the person's neck while he or she was on a ladder or in a horse-drawn cart underneath. Removing the ladder or driving the cart away left the person dangling by the neck to slowly strangle."

I would like to make it clear, in light of recent drawing related racial issues in the media, that this drawing is in no way related to the lyrics of the song, just the title. The idea is to explore the feeling of the last stand, on the cart, waiting for the whip to signal the drop.

In fact, I didn't bother reading the lyrics until now as I had such a clear idea of what I wanted to do after reading the title. Wish I had now as I feel a little uneasy about posting.

Oh well. Nuthin' but love. I really like way I've done the horse!

3 comments:

Gallusness said...

That's brutal (but in a good way). Thinking you've top trumped this month.

Loving the perspective and the how dynamic the horse seems. Captured that very sweetly indeed. Thought nice as well and think it safe to say we knew you were being none racial-ist (sic).

Like you I've also just gone and checked the lyrics. Jings didn't really appreciate how full on they were. School boy error not to check that at start of the month.

Reeko said...

Ta muchly.

Not that it's what you were suggesting but I don't think we should shy away from the controversial. Just to be totally aware of what we're "publishing" is probably a good thing!

Owen said...

Yeah man, love the horse and the driver in particular! The hangman looks brilliant too - what's he being hung from?

Nah, I'd never even have thought you were being racially controversial! The thought process is quite clear, yet nicely lateral.