Wednesday 30 July 2008

Everything Has it's Point – Jones


So how about this then? Posting early, in a feeble sucking up attempt to appease the IST warlords who fastidiously monitor the punctuality of posts to this fine blog, and PUNISH those who are late to join the fun. They happen to be very wordy warlords as well, hence my ostentatious use of the word 'fastidiously' (and 'ostentatious') - another attempt to avoid punishment and further shame.

Anyway, this isn't a dictionary, so on with business. Everything has it's point. Not necessarily true. Consider seagulls, chavs and men's nipples. No, I must argue that not everything has a point. 

However, many things do have a point but unfortunately that point often becomes lost in the swirling winds of life, and so those things tend to become overlooked and in time, their use seems to fade into non-existence. 

One such thing is the focus of my post/illustration/RANT this month, and that is the use of indicators on cars - particularly fast, expensive and sporty cars, driven by men in expensive suits who are considerably richer than us minions and so it is apparently their RIGHT to own the road and not feel the need to tell other drivers or pedestrians what the HECK they are going to do next! [breathe]

For example, as a pedestrian waiting to cross a side road, I like to look to my right (and my left, of course) and see if a car is coming and if it is, is it likely to turn into the road I'm crossing? You know how I know whether (a) the car is going to turn, and as such I should wait until it has passed before crossing; or (b) the car is carrying straight on, meaning I am free to cross and not risk my neck (not to mention my elbows, my spleen and my skull) in doing so? 

INDI-BLOODY-CATORS! 

Every car has them! They're usually activated using a little lever/stalk on the left of your steering wheel (on the right on some models I believe) - up for right, down for left. Just flick it with your finger - it doesn't take much - and astonishingly, other road users will suddenly be aware of your intentions and will not be placed in a situation of peril due to your laziness!

THAT, people, is the point of indicators.

Here's a picture of an indicator/cornerlight.

I thank you.


4 comments:

Reeko said...

Love it, great image, great rant.

Your vector work is so clean and accompished... I'd love to watch you work in Illustrator one day...

As a walker on the streets of London, I'm all over this like a rash. We must have the technology to make indicators automatic. The number of near misses and screaches from tyres and pedestrians that I've wittness, well. You almost wouldn't leave your house.

Owen said...

Cheers dude, I wasn't completely content with the image but something about it I really love! I've noticed a distinct lack of cohesion through my entries so far though - slightly concerning.

And I really enjoyed the write up/rant. Don't get me started on roundabouts...........!

Christie Photopoulou said...

Very cool Owen! very cool indeed. liking the 80's feel to the image - plussing as which, everyone likes and deserves a good rant

Simon Newsome said...

Now you and me are on the same wave length...lost count of the amount of times I have gone to cross a road thinking that the car is going to drive past only at the exact moment I begin to cross they start to turn. Whats worse is when they do this then put their indicators on. Indicators are to indicate what you are about to do, not what you are doing!!!!

Absolute fruit cakes on the roads these days!