Sunday 31 May 2009

Tell Me A Lie - Jones

I went on a small, relatively uneventful (though slightly interesting in a vague kinda way) journey with my thought process for this one. As always I started by looking at the lyrics and listening to the song on youtube. I loved the fairground theme and thought about doing a pic of a woman with a moustache, in a circus/freakshow way. But it seemed a little bit too straight forward and maybe a bit dull.

My next thought was based on Eddie Izzard's observations about toasters and showers sharing similar turn-y knobs that LIE. Was there an idea in that somewhere? Possibly, who knows? I didn't really commit enough time investigating it I'm afraid.

Time passed. The end of the month approached. Then I remembered I hadn't done a thing. Cue panic.

Having recently found myself truely inspired by the illustrative type of such artists/agencies as Alex Trochut, Seb Lester and Vasava, I wanted to harness that inspiration and take the opportunity to try and create a typographic illustration.

Tell Me A Lie?

"Honey, tell me 'honestly', does my bum look big in this?"

Here's the final piece. In all honesty, I'm a little disappointed with the finish, it certainly doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the artists name checked before, but there are some cool elements to it and overall it's not too bad considering the time I was able to spend on it!



Here's a scan of my initial sketch/layout, which I was actually pretty pleased with.

6 comments:

Reeko said...

Excellent as always!

Simple and elegant, good idea with a very effective illustration. I got the idea straight away and the type treatment and choice suits perfectly.

I'm also very impressed with the rendering on the letters... good stuff mate! I think this is something you should explore further as you seem to have the knack/skill for it!

Owen said...

Cheers dude. I actually think the type is stronger on the original scan than the vectorised artwork and the final finish and composition isn't great but yeah, the idea tickled me and I'm happy enough!

Gallusness said...

Hey Chaps (and new chapess/chapette).

Liking it Mr. Jones, sweet interpretation and execution. Loving the type. Quite mad that that hand crafted style is floating your boat as well just now (ditto here have a wee project on the side that is allowing me to indulge).

Yip think your type is stunning and very legible. Because we all have different ways of doing things I'd have used a photo of denim for the background to give the detailing an extra kick. But that's not the Jones way! Ie. you're not as lazy, haha.

Reeko said...

I also would have been lazy and scanned in me jeans.

I guess if, say, it was going to used for a poster campaign it may suit a more "real" setting, whereas here, in more of a"fine art illustration" setting the clean display is better...?

Christie Photopoulou said...

Good idea! I really like the graffiti style type. I can totally see this on a wall, sprey paint dripping down.

Owen said...

Ha, I seriously thought about using a pic of some denim! In fact if I get chance I might try it with that instead and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers all!