Friday 31 October 2008

Set it Off - Jones

Hey hey.

Much like Gallusness this month, I was almost instantly struck with the idea that I wanted to depict. I had visions of setting off fireworks or explosives, quite an energetic and textured piece, with the words 'Set it off' joined up, as if they were a cable from a detonator.

Unfortunately I hit problems after I had drawn the custom type (which I'm actually quite proud of - will update my own site with some crops at some point), as I couldn't find a context or layout to display it in!

Eventually I settled on the composition you see here. I'm still not completely convinced it's as well composed as some of my other work, but (as was pointed out to me by Reeko recently) the idea of IST is a chance to experiment, and experiment I did! I've never been really into custom type but it seemed a natural direction and great opportunity, so I took it.

So here it is.

4 comments:

Reeko said...

I have a lot of time for this, it's areally good peice. Excellently finished as well.

I'm suprised about your comment on the custom type. I would have thought it's the kind of thing you'd be all over like a rash? I love custom type, just rarely have the patience for it unless someone else is footing the bill:)

How much of the splats & brush strokes are real?

Owen said...

Cheers, I'm pretty pleased with it. I think my comment was a bit misleading. I didn't mean I'm not into it, more like you say - lacking the patience with it! I love how it can look and envy those who regularly manage to pull it off!

Splats and strokes are taken from a freebie pack I downloaded from that there t'interweb. I'll email you the link. Obviously I did some tweaking and ordering of them, but they're all from real scanned textures I believe.

Owen said...

...oh for 'it' read 'custom type'.

Gallusness said...

I like it. Cool composition. Bright colours and chevrons!

One of the ideas I had was kind of between what I ended up doing and what you did. It was going to use the silhouette style but to have two people that have just pushed a detonator very much like the end of Fight Club.

But yeah I went all calm and karmic instead. And so on to next month…