Thursday 30 July 2009

Charlie - Gallusness



Ok so I'm posting this a day early. It's been a good month up here in the world of Gallusness. More info to follow about why that is at some point. July's entry is done and dusted so I thought I'd get it up and out there. It's worth also saying July has been such a good month that even May's - Tell Me A Lie entry got revisited. There is now an updated illustration that's been added to that previous post, it's now in a place I'm happy with.

But over to this months entry. Charlie as a title was an absolute gift, I knew instantly what I was going to do. Since setting up www.gallusness.com just over a year ago I had a number of personal projects that I had on the go that I wanted to finish and add. One of these was a t-shirt design involving Charlie Chaplin. It'd become something of a personal quest to finish this design but it has always been the one that got away. It's been mostly done for ages now and probably would have remained that way (despite it being a 2009 new year resoultion to finish it). My motivation and reason behind the t-shirt is the story of how Charlie Chaplin entered a Charlie Chaplin look-a-like contest in Monte Carlo and came third… I LOVE that fact, it's genius! And I love the fact that he was up for entering in the first place.

This fact has always amused me and I fancied celebrating (and wearing) a tribute so I set about designing an appropriate image. As this was going to be for a t-shirt I kept the real Charlie C as a photograph. But then illustrated the other entrants in a pretty apt colour scheme and fashion that would give a better printed result.

Although I effectively had a head start on this entry I went back and re-visited it as a whole to tidy it up and get it to exactly where I wanted. One of the newer additions was working up how to best achieve the podium finish. The Monte Carlo text that appears was hand crafted before being traced over in vector work.

I've included a visual of how I imagine the final t-shirt looking below.

Yip Charlie as a title was about as close to perfect as you could get for me, top of my head think only the Stereophonics 'Looks Like Chaplin' could have topped it.

Overall I'm really happy with this one. It's so nice to see it finished and fully realised, just have to get around to arranging a print run now. Reeko, I salute your I-Tunes and it's shuffle-ability (well for now).


3 comments:

Christie Photopoulou said...

Excellent, love the idea and the story behind it! Will post mine tonight, excited about July!! :-)

Owen said...

Very cool concept, and very lucky Mr McM! I really love that story too, although it takes this entry to remind me of it. So funny, who'd enter something like that these days?! No-one could get away with it!

I also like the thought process of using the illustrations compared with the photo to highlight the 'representation' or imposter next to the real thing.

Good stuff!

Reeko said...

Really, really good. Great idea, excellent execution mixing the drawing and photography to show fake and real. Oooh, that sounded a bit 1st year "visual culture"... I didn't say "juxtapose" though... damn!

Great idea for a Tee too.

One little thought... Maybe numbers on the podiums? T shirts are a mix of subtlety and quick hit and I wonder if you're too far on subtlety?