Sunday 30 August 2009

Underwater Love – Reeko




So, this has been a good challenge! I've enjoyed the limitations of "No computers". I've found it very liberating. No retouching, no stress, what my hand does with the brush pen is final. I even refrained from colour or contrast adjustments after scanning.

We are currently in the process of emigrating to Athens, Greece. I had big plans for this month but ended up packing the paints before I'd had time to do the artwork! So I turned to my tiny moleskine and switched my idea into a little series of images. When drawing in my sketchbook I often represent my ideas in a more abstract way. I then work up the idea, playing with composition and gathering reference to make the final artwork.

This little story is about a sailor being rescued by mermaids who, for some reason, need to enter from the surface of the water!

Ok, roll on the next month and the next limitation!

(Trying not to look at all the flaws I could fix so easily in Photoshop! Trying not to look at the...etc etc)

4 comments:

Owen said...

ha, yeah, where did the mermaids appear from? ;)

This is cool, I really like it, reminds me of something with the little stick men/mermaids. Fun and lively, good stuff.

Reeko said...

Ta pal. Was scribbled off pretty quick. Will do better next time, promise!

Gallusness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gallusness said...

More importantly did he thank the mermaids? Will he now be left with 'Tom Hanks' syndrome?

Sweet composition and I'm properly intrigued by how your usual finish would have brought this one on. Like it though - appeals to my notion of what underwater romance could be like.

Kinda nice we're all in different places again. This is one title worried we could be over-lapping on.

Cool news about heading off to Greece. I'm hoping your still good for IST entries. Maybe it'll be a more enjoyable experience kicking back in the sun?