Wednesday 1 April 2009

Traffic 'Cone' In The Sky - Gallusness



Now if I just keep talking no one can possibly notice what I've done there/here…

Right so this month I decided to get a bit cheeky with my entry. The image depicts the Duke of Wellington statue which is regarded as one of the original statues to get continually 'coned'. It stands outside the front of the Gallery of Modern Art in Glasgow city centre. Because of the sheer number of times the statue gets 'coned' and due to it's location the cone when a top Wellington's head is now no longer removed by the council.

It's become something of an icon it's own right and many see it as a cheeky pop at everyday folk showing up the modern art located mere feet away. It's quite a statue to cone as well, sitting at nearly twenty foot high and on top of a big concrete pedestal. If the statue does happen to lose it's cone it usually only takes a student night to pass by for it to be sporting it again.

March was a funny month in that I knew what I was going to do for a while. Then life/work went a bit crazy mental busy (hence my post of last week saying guys I'm struggling). Then yesterday I got landed with a day off and some time to cobble my entry together. Most unexpected but welcomed none the less. Style wise I wish I could back to half way through this entry and change the finish. But ah well it's done now.

Bring on April.

2 comments:

Reeko said...

Ah yes, all the best sculpture should interact with it's environment...

Good post and image. I really like the pencil sketch! A very even treatment with a good angle and finish. The colour of the cone sits out perfectly.

Nicely done!

Owen said...

Sorry, meant to comment when I posted, but ran out of time (sounds familiar).

This is a good take, and I like that you tweaked the title to suit your idea (we noticed...!). I think the idea of IST is that the song title inspires your design, rather than limits it.

Nice one!